Well, out of all of my new year goals for 2012, keeping up with blogging went down in flames. I will do better in 2013, mostly because I have recruited two new blogging partners: my bff Kim and my sister-in-law Heather. Take that procrastination! *karate chop*
Anywho, I have been cooking up a storm the last few weeks. Very few healthy things, but that time of year will be here before I know it. In honor of Christmas being over and New Year’s quickly approaching I will share with you a few recipes that worked really well for my big family Christmas.
First, my Christmas cooking drink: A Hemingway.
Splash of Lime Juice
Serve over ice
Recently, I read a book about juicing and bought a juicer (there will be plenty more to come on that). So when I came across this recipe that called for grapefruit juice I thought I would juice my own. It was good, but very tart. So unless you like drinks with bite, I would suggest buying the juice. If you are brave enough to juice your own then one grapefruit was enough for two 12oz cocktails.
Strawberries (as many as you want/need to do)
Whipped Cream (any kind. I tend to use the low calorie one, but the full fat heavy whipping cream is delicious)
1 package of instant pudding mix (any flavor you like. I used white chocolate)
– Mix the pudding and whipped cream together in a bowl. Refrigerate until stiff.
– While waiting for the cream, slice the leafy end of the strawberry off, so it will stand on its own. The cute the pointed end off and set to the side to use later. (These are our hats)
– Use a knife to widen the center hole from the smaller end, but do not cut so deep that it goes through the strawberry (the cream should be ready by now).
– Pipe whipped cream into the center of the strawberry and come up about a half of an inch over the strawberry
– When all strawberries are filled, place the pointed ends on top and voila! Santa Strawberries.
24 Wonton Wrappers
1 pound of hamburger
1 package of taco seasoning
1 package of Uncle Ben’s Spanish Rice (I use the microwavable one)
1 package of Colby Jack Shredded Cheese
– Spray muffin pans with oil and place one wonton wrapped in each spot.
– Microwave rice (or cook it). Place one spoon full in each cup.
– Fry hamburger and add taco seasoning as directed. Again place one spoonful in each cup
– Top with a pinch of cheese
– Bake at 350 until wonton wrappers are starting to brown and crisp
That is all I put in them for Christmas because I have a picky family. However, other items that would be good are: refried beans, hot sauce or salsa, and anything else you like on tacos.
Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
3 large flour tortillas
1 minced tomato
1 package of cream cheese (soften)
½ package of ranch dressing mix
5 slices of turkey bacon (or regular)
– Mix package of cream cheese with ranch dressing mix.
– Add minced tomato and crumbled bacon to mixture and stir
– Divide evenly between the shells and spread to nearly the edge
– Tightly roll the tortilla and wrap with aluminum foil
– Refrigerate until cream cheese stiffens (I made mine the day before but it shouldn’t take more than an hour)
– Slice into half inch sections and serve
Enjoy the recipes and happy New Year to you all!